It is actually TA-Q-BIN (aka. Takkyubin, Takuhaibin).
Simply put, it's a delivery forwarding service across Japan used by residents, local businesses, and tourists.
One of the biggest delivery services in Japan (and the one that started it all) is Yamato Transport Services (Kuroneko; they have since expanded to Taiwan, Thailand, Shanghai, Europe, and USA).
For example purposes, I will be talking about them today (note, your hotel may use a different company).
- Check with your Hotel (front desk) or Ryokan (Inns).
- They can help you arrange or assist with filling out the paperwork (see sample below). They will collect the fees needed and will most likely take care of everything for you.
- You can select same-day or next day delivery and even an estimated time slot.
- For suitcases, you are looking anywhere between ~2,000-4,000 Yen per item (prices vary with dimensions, destination, and company).
You can send your things in 3 main ways
- From one hotel to another.
- To/ From select train station.
- To/ From airport to hotel.
- For this option you must arrange at least 2 days in advance, please check with the company you use.
- Do note, each type of service (hotel-to-hotel vs. airport delivery) has their own form you need to fill out. When in doubt, please check with your concierge or tourist information centers that offers this service!
- Through a convenience store (though English support may vary).
- Through a Tourist Information Center (if they offer it).
- Contacting the company directly for pick-up.
- Some of the companies offer International mailing services too. So when we maxed out our luggage space, we shipped some items home.
- Also, it's possible to use Japan Post to send your luggage to the airport as well. Be sure to ask about the to Airport form.
Sample TA-Q-BIN form:
Address of where you want the luggage to be sent to in Kanji (Hotel/ Ryokan).
(If sending to the airport, you will need to provide the airport name + Terminal # if applicable).
Also have your flight itinerary on-hand:
(flight #, date, and flight time).
Date of arrival.
[TIP]-- Please prepare one form per suitcase/ luggage!